Individuals may vote in a local (civic) election in British Columbia if they meet all of the following criteria:

  • 18 years of age or older
  • A Canadian citizen
  • Been a resident of British Columbia for at least 6 months before voting day
  • Been a resident of City of West Kelowna for 30 days or more before voting day
  • Not disqualified by the Local Government Act or any other act from voting or otherwise disqualified by law
Required Identification

On election day, voters will need to produce two pieces of identification, one bearing a signature, to prove identity and residency. Acceptable forms of identification may include:

  • BC CareCard
  • BC Driver's Licence
  • BC ID Card from the Motor Vehicle Branch
  • Canadian Citizenship Card
  • Credit card or debit card; providing name is embossed on the card
  • City of West Kelowna Property Tax Notice
  • ICBC Owner's Certificate of Insurance and Vehicle Licence
  • Ministry of Employment and Income Assistance Request for Continued Assistance Form EIA0081
  • Social Insurance Number card
  • Utility bill
If you have no ID showing your address, you will be asked to sign a Declaration of Residency form at the voting place.

Nonresident Electors

Individuals who own a property in the City of West Kelowna but who live elsewhere in British Columbia, may qualify to vote as a nonresident Elector. Nonresident property owners may register at the voting place. You must produce proof that you are the registered owner of the property. If you are one of 2 or more owners, you must also provide proof in writing that you have the consent of the majority of all the owners to vote as the nonresident property elector. You may get consent of the majority of property owners in advance by filling out a nonresident Property Elector Consent Form.

A nonresident Elector must also provide 2 pieces of identification as described above, under Electors. No corporation is entitled to vote.